Dear Youth Studies Colleagues:

My 2017 book, Beyond Columbine: School Violence and the Virtual is available in hardcover only at present. If you are interested, please click the link below to exam its table of contents, among other samples.

My editor would like to make the case to publish it in paperback. If you are interested in course adoption in the next year, please email me to let me know the name of the course, university/college and enrollment. This will help make the case.

This book is follow-up to my 2003 book on school violence, Failure to Hold (also linked below). As this topic becomes more and more popular (as well as youth movements against it), the book is very timely and relevant, offering a reading of school violence and violence against public spaces that is international in scope. The book draws upon and bridges some gaps in theoretical work about school violence from scholars in Germany, Finland and France.

I am a political theorist who writes about mass forms of violence, especially ones that end in suicide in contemporary democracies.

My reading uses the work of Etienne Balibar on forms of “ultra-subjective violence” as well as Alexander R. Galloway’s work on protocological societies and gaming.

You can email me at [log in to unmask]

Julie

--

Julie A. Webber

Professor

Politics and Government

Core Faculty, Women and Gender Studies

Author of Beyond Columbine: School Violence and the Virtual, Peter Lang, 2017

https://www.peterlang.com/view/product/30045

The Cultural Set Up of Comdy, Intellect/U of Chicago, 2013.

http://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/distributed/C/bo16813838.html

Failure to Hold: the Politics of School Violence, Rowman and Lilttlefied, 2003.

https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780742519831/Failure-to-Hold-The-Politics-of-School-Violence