Hi Kim

In the faculty of Health, Education and Life Sciences  at BCU maths is also embedded into programmes.    We use a layered model of support for numeracy as follows:

1.    Large mixed ability workshops where the content is embedded. Students who struggle with maths are then directed to the more personalised layers of support.

2.    Small group bespoke tutorials.  The students form their own groups and book a tutorial.

3.     Lunch time drop in tutorials.  These work for students who have some muddy points that need clarification.

4.    One to one tutorials.  Students prefer these as they get closer to the heart of the problem without the distractions of the large groups.  Students who are aware of their difficulties will request tutorials even before they access the embedded content.

5.    Online resources consisting of video tutorials and paper based materials.

The programmes include Nursing, ODP, Paramedic Science and Nursing Associates.

I am currently working towards my doctorate which will be an investigation into basic numeracy support in the HE context.

I actually presented our model of support to your colleagues at De Montfort Uni recently.

Please stay in contact.

Kind regards

David

David Maynard

Education Facilitator/Numeracy Co-ordinator

MEd LTHE

IMA Affilated Member

Personal Development Department

Faculty of Health, Education & Life Sciences

Birmingham City University

261 Seacole Building

City South Campus

Westbourne Rd