Hello all,

Is there a technical name for that show-stopper interwoven list form that Spenser uses from time to time? The example I have ready-to-hand is FQ II.iv.34:

"Wrath, gealosie, griefe, love do thus expel:
Wrath is a fire, and gealosie a weede,
Griefe is a flood, and love a monster fell;
The fire of sparkes, the weede of little seede,
The flood of drops, the Monster filth did breede:
But sparks, seed, drops, and filth do thus delay;
The sparks soone quench, the springing seed outweed
The drops dry up, and filth wipe cleane away:
So shall wrath, gealosy, grief, love die and decay."

I seem to remember a relationship between this and madrigal form? But I'm not sure at all.

Best wishes,

Emily
Emily Vasiliauskas
Assistant Professor of English