Perhaps this very list (or someone on it) could organise to recommend, assemble and host a “virtual anthology” to which students worldwide in our classes could be directed as a single focussed resource. Luminarium etc serve something of this function, of course, but they also more voluminous than our needs. It might not even be such a big job if the poets themselves were “adopted” by a plurality of scholars. It would certainly save the labour of each in compiling “course readers” piecemeal.

Best,

Tom

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of John Staines <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, 7 April 2018 at 2:27 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: FW: Books out of print

Hannibal-- For the piece I wrote for MLQ (which was a special edition on "Milton and the Politics of Periodization"), I skimmed through the MLA Job Lists since their origins in mimeographed, typewritten leaflets, and the pattern is clear: in the past 20 years, the Renaissance/Early Modern jobs increasingly conflate the period with Shakespeare and drama, which the collapse of the field in the past decade has hardened into the basic structure of the Early Modern. Even the increasingly rare Renaissance poetry ads will ask for 15 other requirements, including "An ability to teach Shakespeare and drama." There use to be ads that mentioned Spenser by name (and that was in the 60s, where the postings were closer in length and style to newspaper classified ads), but Milton is (I think) the only other named writer in recent years, even as the ads have grown to hundreds of words in length.  My conclusion is that advisors would be derelict in their duties not to push students to have a Shakespeare chapter in their dissertations, no matter how intellectually unjustified that would be. That's not writing for the fashions of the times, which is most often terrible advice, but writing for a job market reality that is unlikely to change any time soon.  Obviously that limits the kinds of dissertations students can write, and leads to a cycle that further marginalizes all other perspectives into oblivion.

John D. Staines
Associate Professor
Major Coordinator and Advisor
Department of English