Here isanother set of quotations:
1. '...Hark ye, Ben. Here isthe sun going up to over-run and possess all Heaven for evermore. Therefore(Still, man!) we'll harness the horses of the dawn. Hear their hooves? "The Lord himself shallbe unto thee thy everlasting light, and - " hold again ! After that climbing thunder mustbe some smooth check - like great wings gliding. Therefore we'll nothave "shallbe thy glory", but "And thy God thy glory!" ...'

2. ...Then he wrote, muttering:-
the little smokeof a candle that goes out.
...then with relief
the little smokethat dies in moonlight cold.
Evidently he was snared by the rhymes of his first verse, for he wrote andrewrote 'gold -cold - mould'many times. Again he sought inspiration from the advertisement, and set down,without erasure, the line I had overheard.
And threw warmgules on Madeleine's young breast.
...I found myself nodding approval ...

3. ... 'How is he chained?'
'With an iron band round his waist fixed to the bench he sits on, and a sort ofhandcuff on his left wrist chaining him to the oar. He's on the lower deckwhere the worst men are sent, and the only light comes from the hatchways andthrough the oar holes. Can't you imagine the sunlight just squeezing throughbetween the handle and the hole and wobbling about as the ship moves?'
'I can, but I can't imagine your imagining it' .
The sourcesof the last set of extracts are as follows:
1.      (…inch by inch, the untempered heat crept into the heart of theJungle, turning it yellow, brown, and at last black.}  This is from "How Fear Came" in The Second JungleBook.
2.      ( .…Then came the Rains with a roar, and the rukh was blotted out in fetchafter fetch of warm mist,)  This is from "In theRukh" in Many Inventions.
3.      (a porcupine's quills rattled in the thicket, andin the darkness between the tree-stems he heard a hog-bear digging hard in themoist warm earth, and snuffing as it digged) This is from "Toomai of theElephants" in The Jungle Book.
We have continued to fill the remaining gapsin our notes on the verse in the New Readers’Guide, including the 73 ‘chapter headings’ for various stories, including PlainTales from the Hills, and The JungleBooks.    Of some 640 poems in the Definitive Edition only four remain  tobe annotated. You might like to take a look at "With Scindia to Delhi", "Belts", "The Prayer of Miriam Cohen", "In the Matter of One Compass", and "Pan in Vermont".

Good Springtime wishes to all
John R