I don’t know if it’s true, but I’ve heard it said the destruction took place in response to concerns over the forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation. If that is the reason, then it would be a case of a knee-jerk response to the legislation without actually thinking through whether there is a justifiable need to retain those items of personal information – and a salutary reminder to those of us impacted by GDPR not to start throwing out the babies with bathwater.

Neil.

Sent: 18 April 2018 16:16
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Home Office destroyed Windrush landing cards, says ex-staffer

The Home Office destroyed thousands of landing card slips recording Windrush immigrants’ arrival dates in the UK, despite staff warnings that the move would make it harder to check the records of older Caribbean-born residents experiencing residency difficulties.

A former Home Office employee said the records, stored in the basement of a government tower block, were a vital resource for case workers when they were asked to find information about someone’s arrival date in the UK from the West Indies – usually when the individual was struggling to resolve immigration status problems.

http://bit.ly/2qGMDcn
http://bit.ly/2qGMDcn+

--

Peterk
Dallas, Tx

To view the list archives go to: https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK To unsubscribe from this list, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the words UNSUBSCRIBE RECORDS-MANAGEMENT-UK For any technical queries re JISC please email [log in to unmask] For any content based queries, please email [log in to unmask]

UCB Celltech is the UK branch of UCB Pharma S.A., a company registered in Belgium with registered offices at Allée de la Recherche 60, 1070 Brussels, Belgium, KBO/BCE nr. 0403.096.168, RPR/RPM Brussels.
UCB Celltech’s UK branch registration number is BR009137 and its UK representative office is at 208 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 3WE.

(Ref: #*CUK0308) [Ref-CUK0308]

Legal Notice: This electronic mail and its attachments are intended solely for the person(s) to whom they are addressed and contain information which is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure, except for the purpose for which they are intended. Dissemination, distribution, or reproduction by anyone other than the intended recipients is prohibited and may be illegal. If you are not an intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and return the electronic mail and its attachments and destroy any copies which may be in your possession. UCB screens electronic mails for viruses but does not warrant that this electronic mail is free of any viruses. UCB accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this electronic mail. (Ref: #*UG1107) [Ref-UG1107]