Hi Arun

I’ve just completed a review of programme documentation in support of a realist synthesis.  All the documentation was from one organisation running one programme, stretching over a 7 year period.  It included everything they had on file (planning, correspondence, reviews, mtg notes etc).  There were around 3500 items.

I set up an excel spreadsheet and extracted ‘data’ into 7 categories which were based on Pawson’s VICTORE. It gave me a great grounding in how the programme was run and managed and what/who influenced its direction over time.  It didn’t give me much on CMOs for programme participants.  It did though show me where I might find that data.  In this case I found a deep well of blogs and case studies that had been assembled in newsletters and websites. There was also some uncoded open field data from several participant surveys they had done and that was insightful too.

From the participant documentation sources I have identified several realist programme theories (CMO configurations).  I approached the latter task by coding all outcomes mentioned in the participant documents and then revisited the documentation again to tease out specific contexts and possible mechanisms for each outcome.  The mechanism identification felt like an art rather than science which was a little unusual to work through for me.  I am sticking with it for now - trusting my gut and some mid range theories!

I’m new to realist work (this is my PhD and I’m in my first year).  I thought I’d share in the spirit of RAMESES network!  There might be something useful for you in there.

All the best
Mary
________________________________
From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Hardwick, Rebecca <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 18 April 2018 12:16:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Using realist synthesis to evaluate documents?

Hi Arun,

You might be interested in my MSc dissertation which was a realist review of project evaluation reports of services known as 'One Stop Shops', for women in the criminal justice system: I didn't use 'peer reviewed' journal articles, and instead, found a host of different service evaluation reports which I used to build and refine programme theory.

I found these evaluations by reading the policy documents that were relevant to that domain (e.g the 'Corston Report' was a key one at that time), and by searching the references in those policy documents.  (PM me if you want to see the whole dissertation, but the journal publication is here: https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/JICA-06-2013-0016 )

So it might be worthwhile look at what the policy arena you're working in has produced (so central govt department websites, research intermediary type organisations, third sector organisation reports and so on), and reading those to get a sense of the likely programme theories.    As we know, mechanisms operate at a middle range of abstraction, so even if the setting is different, the pattern of outcomes across the evaluations will be pointing towards generative mechanisms that would be at work in your own area of enquiry.

Good luck,
Becky

Rebecca Hardwick
PhD Student