Thank you all you sent me responses about this.  Here is a list of people you have used and found to be good fyi, to take or leave. There are different types of service (e.g. speed and quality) and expertise that may affect what people need.

Free automated transcription:

1. Upload the audio with a video onto YouTube, and download and tidy up the automatic captions

2. Speechmatics (https://www.speechmatics.com/)

Paid transcription services, freelancers:

1. Freelancer: Thea Powell ([log in to unmask]): £30/hour of actual work (not audio minutes)

2. Production Transcripts: “contact me for current pricing”

Paid transcription services, companies UK:

1. Transcript Divas: Basic Interviews 80p/recorded minute

2. Transcription Centre: “Prices start at £1.00 per minute of audio”

3. Sterling Transcription: (enquire for pricing)

4. Transcription City: £1/audio minute, with small supplements for extra people in interviews or poor audio

Paid transcription services, companies US:

1. Rev.com  (Good reviews from list members, but I have some concerns about what it’s like to work for them (I think we should be prepared to pay a living wage; we pay $1/audio minute, the transcribers receive $0.48/ audio minute and it appears they are quite tough on quality) – and I realise this is only a half-thought-out response.

Neil