Saturday, 5 May 2018 (Room 243, Senate House)

Researching Multilingually: Possibilities and Complexities (Workshop)

Prue Holmes (Durham) with Judith Reynolds (Durham)

• Am I allowed to include literature in Turkish?

• What if I conduct my interviews in Mandarin but have to write my thesis in English?

• If I include data in Hindi, how will this affect my word count? How will the thesis be examined?

• Do I transcribe first, then translate, or the other way round?

If you encounter one or more of these questions in your research then this workshop is for you!

This workshop will draw on the experiences and reflections of researchers involved with AHRC-funded projects http://researchingmultilingually.com/ (AH/J005037/1) and http://researching-multilingually-at-borders.com/ (AH/L006936/1) to explore the possibilities for and complexities of what is termed ‘researching multilingually’ — how researchers draw on their own linguistic resources, and those of others, when undertaking research involving more than one language. Workshop participants will be invited to explore and apply these insights to their own research projects. The workshop aims to support developing researcher awareness with regard to practices of researching multilingually and in this way, work towards a more clearly articulated ‘researching multilingually’ methodology.

The overall objectives of the workshop are to:

• introduce participants to the possibilities for and complexities of researching multilingually

• invite participants to consider ethical and other issues where research involving more than one language is concerned

• support participants as they develop their confidence and competence when researching multilingually

• offer participants the space to reflect on their own ‘researching multilingually’ practice

Participants are also encouraged to engage with our online Researcher Network, which continues to inform our understanding of ‘researching multilingually’ researcher practice.

Workshop Programme

11.00   Session 1

What are the possibilities for and complexities of researching multilingually?

An introduction to the concept of ‘researching multilingually’ and its underpinning research

12.00   Session 2

Discussion of case study examples and reflection on your own experiences

13.00   Lunch break

14.30   Session 3

What are the ethical and other considerations which researching multilingually raises?

Reviewing and reflecting on disciplinary and institutional practices

15.30   Tea break

15:45   Session 4

How can you develop your confidence and competence when researching multilingually?

Review of resources and ideas to support your research

16.45   Conclusion

Numbers are limited so do register in advance to secure a place (email [log in to unmask]; tel 020 7862 8962)

With all best wishes.

Katia Pizzi

Senior Lecturer, Italian Studies

Director, Centre for the Study of Cultural Memory

INSTITUTE OF MODERN LANGUAGES RESEARCH
School of Advanced Study • University of London

Senate House

Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU