Dear colleagues,

I would like to bring to your attention the following job opening in our department and kindly ask you to forward it to interested students:

The department “Dynamics at Surfaces” (Prof. Alec M. Wodtke) at the Max-Planck-Institute for biophysical chemistry is looking for a motivated PhD student.

The aim of the department is to gain a detailed understanding of the fundamental physical and chemical processes occurring at surfaces and providing benchmark data for testing and validation of theoretical models. Theoretical understanding of surface chemistry will eventually become a tool to design new chemical technology including: heterogeneous (photo) catalysts, photovoltaics, fuel cells and much more. To reach this goal, we require new ideas and new theories of molecular interactions at interfaces. Applying cutting-edge laser, molecular beam, and ultrahigh vacuum technology to design well-defined experiments that can catch molecules in the act of reacting, our group strives to provide benchmark measurements which set standards for the next generation of theoretical advance. In particular, we seek to discover the "rules" that govern the conversion of energy at interfaces. Although too small to see with the naked eye and too fast to follow except with the fastest pulsed lasers, energy conversion takes place one molecule at a time and one collision at a time. By isolating these individual energy conversion events and studying them, we are building the conceptual bridge connecting our macroscopic experience of energy conversion to the molecular world.

The candidate will be involved in a recently founded highly ambitious research project aimed to investigate chemical reactions at surfaces on a picosecond time scale. He/ she will be responsible for the preparation and characterization of 2-dimensional semiconductor samples (transition metal dichalcogenides, TMDs), which exhibit unique optical and electronic properties. For example, they have a direct bandgap enabling efficient optical excitation of electron-hole pairs at the surface. The second topic will be the development of ultra-short atom pulses and the study of their interaction with the photo-excited TMDs under ultra-high vacuum conditions using short-pulse lasers. The candidate will have the opportunity to work in an excellent research environment on a unique and complex apparatus especially designed and built for this project.

The potential candidate should have a master degree in chemistry, physical chemistry, physics or a related subject. Experiences in working with high power short-pulse lasers, optics, programming and vacuum technologies are advantageous.

The payment and benefits for PhD candidates are based on the TVöD guidelines. The position is supposed to be filled as soon as possible from June 2018.

Max-Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry

Dynamics at Surfaces

Prof. Alec M. Wodtke (Head of department)

Dr. Kai Golibrzuch (Group leader)

Am Fassberg 11

D-37077 Goettingen

Germany

Tel.:       0551-201-1324

E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Best regards,

Kai Golibrzuch

Dr. Kai Golibrzuch

Max-Planck-Institut für biophysikalische Chemie

Abteilung Dynamik an Oberflächen

Am Faßberg 11

D-370770 Göttingen

Tel.: 0551-201-1324