We have a fully funded 4 year PhD studentship available at the University of Southampton.
https://www.findaphd.com/search/ProjectDetails.aspx?PJID=93403
Project Description
Hydrogen bonding interactions have a profound effect on defining structure and directing chemical reactivity. In thermal chemistry this effect is well understood and leads to our current deep understanding of chemical structure and the parameterisation of these effects into models of extremely large chemical systems. For excited states the effect of hydrogen bonds is demonstrably as important but is much less understood and represents an important gap in our knowledge. This limits our ability to understand biological processes like photosynthesis and, restricts our ability to exploit these mechanisms for potential applications such as laser dyes, chemical sensors and optical devices. Through this PhD you will build and develop an ultrafast laser based transient absorption experiment to probe the effects of hydrogen bonding on various photochemical processes. The experiments will make use of femtosecond duration laser pulses that probe changes in the absorption spectrum of the molecules as they react. The results will be compared with complimentary gas phase measurements on similar molecular targets (e.g. Phys. Rev. Lett. 117 163002 (2016)).
Funding Notes
The project is funded for 4 years and welcomes applicants from the UK and EU who have or expect to obtain at least an upper second class degree in Chemistry, Physics or allied subjects/relevant disciplines. Funding will cover fees and a stipend at current research council rates of £ 14,553 per annum.

Due to funding restrictions this position is only open to UK/EU applicants.

Dr Russell Minns
Royal Society University Research Fellow
Chemistry
Faculty of Natural and Environmental Sciences
University of Southampton
SO17 1BJ
Tel: (+44) 02380 593 897

To join or leave the molecular-dynamics-news email list, go to:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/molecular-dynamics-news.html