The form of the axe head is fairly standard, no necessarily from a mining context. As to the iron, the edge would be steeled by the smith to provide a good cutting edge.

Peter

Dr Peter Claughton +44(0)7831427599

________________________________
From: mining-history <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of David Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:50:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [mining-history] Axe Head

Is that the wood grain like pattern in it from the slag? Excuse my ignorance but Why would they use wrought iron as an axe head? Was that usual and did the guys just put up with it? Should I do a spark test to try determine how much carbon is in it?

Is there any way to date the axe or is it safe to assume it came from the mining village?

Sorry about the questions I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to history but very interested.