Dear all,

On 2 July the Royal College of Nursing in central London are holding a Late called "Beat the Bugs" as part of our exhibition series on pandemics and infection control since the 1918 flu. The event will also launch the AIDS Histories and Cultures festival, co-ordinated by the Raphael Samuel History Centre.  See more info below.

We're looking for researchers to give short talks or run activity stands relating to their research in the history of epidemics, infection control and healthcare more generally. If you would like to showcase your research to a public audience, please get in touch with [log in to unmask] with your suggestions for activities.

Kind regards,

Sarah

Beat the Bugs!

AIDS Histories and Cultures Festival launch event, Monday 2 July 6-9pm

The Royal College of Nursing is hosting a Late at the start of the AIDS Histories and Cultures Festival at 20 Cavendish Square (near Oxford Circus) on Monday 2 July, “Beat the Bugs!”. The RCN Library and Archives are looking for partners to get involved. You could provide a taster of your festival event or do something specifically for the launch: activities will range across different areas of contagion and infection control, with HIV and AIDS as a major theme.

We will promote the festival as a whole at this event, which will be a museum style late. We’ll have collection stands and displays, activities, talks, performances and info points, along with some contagion themed trails that take people around the RCN building. We aim for 300 attendees throughout the evening (6-9pm), tickets will be free and there will be a pay bar.

Activities proposed so far:

•         Pandemic! Exhibition in the RCN Library and Heritage Centre

•         Room of memory/AIDS oral history showcase

•         AIDS quilt sewing workshop

•         Fold your own virus activity stand

•         Choose your own adventure style game exploring how different viruses spread

We can provide: furniture, AV equipment, screens, WiFi, evaluation for the evening, staffing. We have a small budget, so may be able to help if your activity needs materials: please get in touch to discuss.

If you’d like to get involved or have questions, email Frances Reed ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) with a rough outline of your idea for an activity and what you’d need in terms of space and facilities.

Sarah Chaney
Events & Exhibitions Manager
Royal College of Nursing Library and Heritage Centre
Room M02, 20 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0RN
Direct line: 020 7647 3997
www.rcn.org.uk/library<http://www.rcn.org.uk/library>