Possible use as a saddle makes a certain amount of sense. That too would put the carvings the right way up and also be consistent with the smoothly rounded tips of the tines. It would also explain the unadorned 'seat' of the antler.  Just thinking along these lines gives me pause when I consider that in saddlery, the thingy on top of the pommel is called a horn.

If it was intended as a saddle, however, I don't see that it got much use because from the photo I can't see that the 'seat' and border carvings show any differential wear and tear in the places you would expect abrasion from a rider's buttocks and legs.

All things considered, I think I'll stick with footstool as my preferred guess. I can attribute the broken tines to a heavy footed Dane. Moreover the obvious fragility of the tines in this sort of use makes the designer a victim of a good idea that did not work very well. Which is probably why we don't see a lot of Elk Antler footstools...

I'd better stop now. This is way too much fun.

Cheers,

Richard J Legault