Curiosity had me Googling, with this popping up:
http://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/f0294-2000-year-old-warrior-armour-made-of-reindeer-antlers-found-on-the-arctic-circle/

--also this bit from Wikipedia (for what it's worth),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antler:
Carving for decorative and tool uses
A German powder flask made from a red deer antler, c.1570. Wallace
Collection, London (2010)
Antler has been used through history as a material to make tools,
weapons, ornaments, and toys.[28] It was an especially important
material in the European Late Paleolithic, used by the Magdalenian
culture to make carvings and engraved designs on objects such as the
so-called Bāton de commandements and the Bison Licking Insect Bite. In
the Viking Age and medieval period, it formed an important raw material
in the craft of comb-making. In later periods, antler - used as a cheap
substitute for ivory - was a material especially associated with
equipment for hunting, such as saddles and horse harness, guns and
daggers, powder flasks, as well as buttons and the like. The decorative
display of wall-mounted pairs of antlers has been popular since medieval
times at least.[citation needed]
Through history large deer antler from a suitable species (e.g. red
deer) were often cut down to its shaft and its lowest tine and used as a
one-pointed pickax.[29][30]

--and some images, though mostly too early or too late:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Objects_made_of_antler

I think that you will get further if you think of the imagery on the
"shield" as a C11-12 inhabited scroll, rather than looking back at early
medieval animal interlace.  Here's an example:
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O93335/horn/
Also, I'm not sure how strong elk antler is; you will want to check on
that if pursuing the notion of a stool.

best,
Genevra