Is this the object you mean?
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/BK-16990
I wonder why they call it a shield, even with the modifier "ceremonial".
There is lots of scholarship on shields (especially in the earlier
period I work on), but it's hard to see how any of that could apply here.
I suppose that it could belong in a category with some of the parade
helmets that are based on a helmet form, but clearly not practical
protective devices. There are some Roman ones here:
www.kornbluthphoto.com/Helmets.html
And much later, one of the all-time greats:
https://blog.royalarmouries.org/2017/09/11/the-must-see-objects-of-the-tudor-court-in-the-royal-armouries-collection/
best,
Genevra