Apologies for mentioning GDPR so soon after a restful bank holiday, but I was wondering what is your take on the implications for GDPR as it relates to cookie compliance.

That GDPR will impact use of cookies is a given, but as with the original cookie saga of a few years ago, there is no absolute “this is what you need to do” advice out there.

As far as I can tell, implied consent will no longer valid, so you can’t start using cookies, excepting cookies essential to the functioning of the website (analytics cookies aren’t ‘essential’ according to GDPR, although it looks like eDP allows analytics cookies as an exception) until the user has actively accepted their use. You then have to allow users to change their mind at any point via a similar option, which sounds like a persistent cookie notice.

So with visions of reportable/actionable analytics disappearing down a vanishingly small hole, are we looking at something like this as the solution: https://www.cookiebot.com/en/ (note this is a company who might have a vested interest in being a bit OTT) or are there other takes on dealing with GDPR and cookies?

Just in case you thought you could head over to some of the official GDPR sites in the hope of finding shining examples of new protocols in action, don’t bother -  some don’t even have implied consent cookies notices.

John Benfield

Product Experience Manager

Royal Shakespeare Company

01789 272351

07557 848414

www.rsc.org.uk
LinkedIn

**************************************************************** website: http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/museumscomputergroup [un]subscribe: http://museumscomputergroup.org.uk/email-list/ ****************************************************************