Hi

This was forwarded to me as I maintain the Reading Group Collection in Hertfordshire.

We keep our collection in a central (non-public access) location. It mostly consists of previous bestsellers that we think will appeal to groups. We do not purchase titles specifically for it. Approx twice a year we refresh it. It offers a solution to 2 issues for us:

1.      We have ready made sets of books that are easier to gather than staff putting multiple reservations on copies that are held in libraries. Of course groups are not obliged to borrow solely from here. Also, if they need a quick alternative to a title for their upcoming meeting we can supply something from the collection easily.

2.      We can make better use of old ‘hot picks’ instead of them clogging up library shelves. For Hot Picks, we buy multiple copies of the titles in the best seller lists for our bigger libraries for 1 week loans, in addition to copies on standing order for 3 week loans. Once demand has died down we are left with ‘warm picks’ in libraries which we then call in for our reading group collection if suitable, ie we wouldn’t include James Patterson but we have Jesse Burton etc.

I hope that’s useful. Do let me know if you require further information.

Thanks

Helen

Helen Pecout

Service Development and Projects Librarian (Tues 9.30-5.30, Wed & Thurs 9.30-3)

Libraries and Heritage Services

Hertfordshire County Council

Central Stocks Unit

Centra Park, Bessemer Road

Welwyn Garden City AL7 1HT

01707 281487 (Comnet 21487) - diverts to mobile

Follow Hertfordshire Libraries on Twitter        Find us on Facebook