Hi Anderson,

I am receiving a warning in PALM for one design matrix.

To provide you with some background, I am combining data from 2 studies. In each study, there are patients and controls, scanned at 2 time points (T1 & T2). Two sessions of resting state data were gathered at each visit for each participant. In this analysis, I am only looking at data from subjects who completed both T1 and T2.

In my design matrix, I am currently using the first two EVs to represent diagnosis. A ‘-1’ in EV1 represents a patient scan at T1, and a ‘1’ in EV1 representing a patient scan at T2. Similarly, a ‘-1’ in EV2 represents a control subject scan at T1, and a ‘1’ in EV2 represents a control subject scan at T2. I also have a covariate to represent study (the last EV). I have based the rest of the matrix on conversations I have seen at this forum. I am including an example matrix of 5 subs below, representing 2 subs from study 1 -- 1 patient and 1 control – and 3 subs from study 2 – 2 patients and 1 control. I am also including an example of how the contrasts were specified below the matrix.

I am running PALM, using sign flippings and specifying the variance groups. I am getting the following warnings when running this analysis:

Warning: Matrix is close to singular or badly scaled. Results may be inaccurate. RCOND =  7.937625e-18.

3.68%    [Shuffling 368/10000, Design 1/1, Contrast 3/4, Modality 1/21]

> In palm_core (line 1417)

  In palm (line 81)

Warning: Rank deficient, rank = 79, tol =  8.652809e-13.

3.68%    [Shuffling 368/10000, Design 1/1, Contrast 3/4, Modality 2/21]

> In palm_core (line 1417)

  In palm (line 81)

Any feedback is much appreciated!!!

Best,