There does seem to be discussions going on at the moment in a number of institutions regarding more flexible and enhanced feedback to students on their assessments utilising audio, video etc as the media, rather than basic written feedback. Whilst being laudable from a student experience perspective I was just wondering how other External Examiners might be viewing this. I foresee issues from an external examining perspective whereby enhanced feedback will serve to potentially slow down the external moderation process, and effectively increase our workload by virtue of the extra time requirement required to digest it all. As an example, currently I might review a sample of assessed work whereby I can lay it all out on a table and gain fairly quick and straightforward impressions of the feedback quality overall across a range of grades, as well as reviewing grade spread and appropriateness of grades etc. With a collection of video feedbacks, say, this then relies on me watching each feedback (including selecting, logging in, watching and logging out possibly) and making individual moderation judgements, but then also having to rely on my memory (or written down notes made by myself during the videos) when it comes to reviewing overall feedback quality across a grade range sample.

I’m just interested to hear what other External Examiners feel about these current assessment/feedback trends and the potential effect they may have on our roles.

Kind Regards

Mike

Mike Veveris B.Tech, MSc, C.Eng, MIED, FHEA
 Senior Lecturer in Product Design Engineering
 Programme Leader - FdSc Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
 Programme Leader - BSc Mechanical Engineering (Mediterranean College, Athens)
 Programme Leader – MSc Mechanical Engineering and Design (Mediterranean College, Athens)
 Programme Leader - MSc Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering

Room MS138

Department of Engineering
 College of Engineering and Technology
 University of Derby
 Markeaton Street
 Derby
 DE22 3AW

 Tel: (01332) 593138
 Mobile: 07905 232238

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and let them know.