Due to a change in circumstances we have two Research Internship positions available in West Wales, starting next week for seven weeks.

Please note that because of the short notice we can be fairly flexible with the start date.

Role description attached.

A little more about us…

Sea Watch Foundation

The Sea Watch Foundation is a national marine environmental research charity that aims to achieve better conservation of whales and dolphins in the seas around Britain and Ireland, by involving the public in scientific monitoring of populations and the threats they face. It is the longest-running research charity in UK focusing upon cetaceans around the British Isles, and maintains a national sightings database, the largest in Europe. It works closely with all the UK statutory conservation agencies, and advises UK government, the UNEP Regional intergovernmental Conservation Agreement – ASCOBANS, the European Commission, as well as the major conservation charities and marine industries operating in the UK. At Sea Watch Wales, we are dedicated to raising awareness, knowledge and conservation of the marine wildlife of the region.

Research in Cardigan Bay

The purpose of our research here is to monitor the marine mammal populations inhabiting Cardigan Bay, so as to gain information to aid the conservation and long-term wellbeing of these animals and the local marine environment. This is achieved by conducting various projects including:

·         Estimating the abundance and distribution of bottlenose dolphins, harbour porpoises and grey seals within Cardigan Bay using distance sampling and opportunistic boat surveys

·         Maintaining and updating a catalogue of photographically identified bottlenose dolphins in Wales in order to study their abundance, social structure, movements and life histories.

Please apply by sending a CV and a letter of motivation to me as soon as possible.
--
Chiara Giulia Bertulli
Sightings Officer

Sea Watch Foundation