I have seen it used in fancy journals so many different ways by people who have no idea anyone else has ever used it. That alone deters me. I won't touch any of the “cute” terms from disABILITY, DIS/ability, dis/ABILITY, able disabled, differently abled, TAB, challenged, differently challenged, etc.. Too many disability groups, like independent living centers, use them. I find them theoretically incorrect or vacuous, paternalistic, insulting to my intelligence, identity, and politics. And I like real cute!

Devva Kasnitz, PhD

Spring 2018 -- Kate Welling Distinguished Scholar in Disability Studies, Miami University, Oxford, OH

Adj Professor, City University of New York—School of Professional Studies—Disability Studies

Executive Director, Society for Disability Studies, PO BOX 5570, Eureka CA 95502

Telecommunications Access for the Deaf and Disabled Administrative Committee, CA

1614 D Street

Eureka, CA  95501-2345

Text and Voicemail:  (510) 206-5767

Skype:  devva.kasnitz

Email:   <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

If you don’t know me, I prefer email, Skype with IM, or text as I do have a significant speech impairment.

NOW IN PAPERBACK! Occupying Disability: Critical Approaches to Community, Justice, and Decolonizing Disability