Dyi
I think that is really interesting and I get your desire to stretch the terms to interrogate power relations but I’ve always thought that all slashes / or \ serve to dichotomise categories: male/female, gay/straight, veggie/meat eater etc. Therefore / or \ risks reinforcing the idea that you are either ‘abled’ or you are ‘disabled’ and never the twain should meet. This undermines the social model of disability where it is the context of your ability that is important and how that context can move you between categories.

From: The Disability-Research Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of D.D. Huijg
Sent: 23 April 2018 18:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: dis/ability

Interesting, I have a different reflection. When researching lived experiences and in descriptive use, I think the problem might arise less so; I'm writing a piece now and no need for complication there - I use disability and ableism.

In my doctoral research, however, I also have to address social categories in abstract terms and I have not found so far an equivalent of e.g., race, gender, sexuality, age and class for disability; neither disability nor ability offer the neutrality that other social categories as words offer. For instance, I can talk about race and gender relations and mean a lot of things. Differently, talking about ability (or abled or enabled) as well as disability (disabled) relations does not offer the same theoretical possibilities - for me, dis/ability offers a (temporary) solution to that. To me it impractical if a social category conceptually constitutes power and inequality, precisely because we need language to describe and analyse their relation. Because of that , I think that concepts should not be limited to discussing the role society, inequality and power have therein - in my perspective that conflates conceptualisation, analysis and description and is, as such, insufficiently useful.

In addition, dis/ability can precisely point to the artificiality of their distinction, as long as the forward-slash is conceptualised as such. The forward-slash is not without meaning, nor does it have to be. But possibly it could be written with a backward-slash, ie dis\ability, which could well be conceptualised as the oppression by 'ability' over the 'dis' and be more useful in that sense.

Another challenge I would like to provide is that the problem of the normativity of (non-disabled) ability, the problematic idea that disability excludes ability, and society that disables etc is not solved by focussing on the forward-slash; these issues are constitutive of the word 'disability'. The forward-slash, I would suggest, merely highlights these issues, it does not create them. As also highlighted in the use of both disablism and ableism; disablism as 'discrimination (etc) against disabled folk' does not conceptually suffice to analyse and explain everything disability (and non-disability) related.

In short, to avoid the conflation between social category and power and inequality, I would suggest either a different term or variant, or would indeed use dis/ability (in fact, I'm pretty sure I've done it already).

And, yes, I am dis\abled. Actually, looking at it while typing, I quite like that use. A bit of rebellion in a backward-slash :).

On another note, may I ask what the question/answers are for?