Exhibition: Katagami in Practice: Japanese Stencils in the Art School

Venue: Asia House, 63 New Cavendish Street, London W1G 7LP

dates: 10th - 14th April 2018

Admission free

This free exhibition at Asia House in London is an opportunity to see some of MoDA’s original Japanese katagami stencils alongside textiles printed using traditional katazome techniques and a series of short films about the project. MoDA’s Silver Studio Collection includes around 400 Japanese katagami stencils, dating from the nineteenth century. These have long held a fascination for visitors because of the intricacy of their cutting and the beauty and stylisation of the motifs. This exhibition is the culmination of a project, funded by Arts Council England, that enabled us to look more deeply at the katagami as objects that cross boundaries from East to West. We employed four researcher/practitioners from a range of backgrounds. Their research has resulted in an increased understanding of the historical background to the katagami in MoDA’s collection; a mathematical analysis and pattern replication applet; a costumed dance performance, and a reflection on the place of katagami within practices of craft and slow making. For more information on this event: https://moda.mdx.ac.uk/event/exhibition-katagami-practice/

Zoë Hendon, Head of Collections

Museum of Domestic Design & Architecture (MoDA)

MoDA Collections Centre

Middlesex University

9 Boulevard Drive, Beaufort Park

London, NW9 5HF

+44 (0)208 411 2341

http://www.moda.mdx.ac.uk

@modamuseum  @zoehendon

https://japonismeindesign.wordpress.com/

Editorial Board member, Journal of Design History

https://academic.oup.com/jdh/pages/archives_collections_curatorship

Please note that we retain email correspondence for monitoring and evaluation purposes, according to the terms of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), 2018.  We do not keep data for longer than necessary and we never share your data with anyone else.  If at any point you would like us to remove your data from our records please let us know.

The Museum of Domestic Design and Architecture welcomes online donations