From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Bradshaw
Sent: 06 April 2018 11:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Recruitment and Equalities Monitoring

I have been completing a job application for a post with the ICO who should know what he is doing when it comes to personal data.

Before I start I am required to confirm that I have read his privacy policy. I have. The relevant part reads:

"You will also be asked to provide equal opportunities information. This is not mandatory information – if you don’t provide it, it will not affect your application. This information will not be made available to any staff outside of our recruitment team, including hiring managers, in a way which can identify you. Any information you do provide, will be used only to produce and monitor equal opportunities statistics."

OK so far?

When I get to the page of the online application it says something similar although it does not explicitly say it is voluntary.

However the first three questions, age, gender ethnicity do have a "Prefer not to say" option. OK. I am then asked whether I consider myself disabled under the 2010 Act definition. Options only Yes - No.  Prefer not to say is not an option but if I say yes I do not actually have to specify - I can leave the details blank.

Am I missing something? I appreciate no-one is likely to want to hide this - as potential employer cannot make reasonable adjustments if needed - but should that not still be my choice at this stage to say whether I am disabled (as long as I was warned of the consequences)?

      https://url6.mailanyone.net/v1/?m=1f4OJ0-000KAE-6P&i=57e1b682&c=YIpjyNJf0IRKuHhFRlAAEDLxOir44tccczJda6kgyCr2UMWrxIGvk6zE59SOqifDFy1wbUU8dQAWVAqJHiImaFKm9QxfBG0CtjD4tcb-45M7Yoept-9OksHvL_eLucEprDQjgzVva1zGVJaj0e6cc5AIstGc9ZseTlsU1x63sItxMUbeRFvbmyfNT_Sqm2dJqSirnHGEAHlK16fjEJVP3xBcGK9JRGr0oeXf_alKn_qEnl-sl5Psvbtw2Rw1vknD
       leave data-protection to [log in to unmask] All user commands can be found at https://url6.mailanyone.net/v1/?m=1f4OJ0-000KAE-6P&i=57e1b682&c=S1xP8Z3ox5OiXWhf5wAfCC7K57k1zckKFspodXXL9q7r5HLwaNI2dkr5d7H_KecnBSGaaouD062eTX5E_NkkSIJ4ht959T88HclHlbL-5CowJ6IAY272OjNA3X-Txjp_CVguaSzUPTO_p9ezNrdFAk29-Ce7XLrDKZ6FfatLNgCfaH5dIcjkcneL8s70K9PrNdA0xDE_TmKtKxsmVfgC-CL5Hf73f9IQuXUTGxYI-JKNAL5JVgMnngjoT5X9UyqLp9xf6V3_nBmsbid3vhIuQg

This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by individuals or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete the email and any attachments. As a public body, Transport for Greater Manchester may be required to disclose this email or any response to it under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, unless the information in it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.
This email has been scanned for all viruses and passed through Content Control by the iCritical Email Security System.

All user commands can be found at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/subscribers/subscribercommands.html