Dear Wenhe,

A thought came to mind after having read all the other threads, for which I generally agree.
An alkyl chain on a molecule (charged? hydrophilic?, you mention a negatively charged binding site) will most likely not lead to micelle formation as the cmc of the object will be most likely higher than the amount you use in solution, especially at uM concentrations. But the alkyl chain nevertheless creates a lot of entropy, it doesn't like being in the water. How long is the alky chain? if it is 8-9-10 or even 11 carbons, it is likely to be not hydrophobic enough to want to burry the side chains into a micelle, and be very exchangeable in solution, yet not happy to be there. Binding onto a surface would reduce entropy, resulting in a better kon?
You could try ITC, you will have access to detlaH and deltaG of binding, and by comparing with your other molecules maybe something would come up?

please correct me if I'm wrong.

All the best
Vincent