Dears,

everybody knows that B-factors may change amongst different crystal
structures and that they need to be standardized when different protein
crystal structures are compared.

If I am not wrong, I remember that someone proposed to standardize
B-factors of protein atoms as “BS = B - Bave”, where Bave is the average
B-factor of the protein. Such standardization is based on the hypothesis
that independent sources of disorder add in determining the final
B-factor. BS should represent atomic B-factors depurated by all factors
different from atom oscillation, since Bave differences are neutralized.

Does anyone can help me in finding a publication (80s or 90s) where
these BS values are used?

Thanks!

Oliviero