Mathematics and Modern Literature 2018

are proud to present

IN CONVERSATION WITH EMILY HOWARD:

EXPLORING MATHEMATICS, MUSIC AND LITERATURE

FOLLOWED BY A RECEPTION

Thursday 3rd May | Theatre B, University Place | 5.30PM

FREE | ALL WELCOME

Are you curious about the relations between the arts and the sciences?

Mathematics and music, like music and poetry, have often been compared to one another, but what can that mean for mathematicians, composers, poets and musicians, for their readers and their listeners?

Are the same intellectual and creative processes involved in doing mathematics, in composing and interpreting music, and in writing and reading a novel or a poem?

Join Gemma Moss, Lecturer in English at Birmingham City University, in conversation with Emily Howard, composer and director of PRiSM, the Centre for Practice & Research in Science & Music at the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM), to explore the fascinating and diverse relations between music, mathematics and literature.

FEATURING

LIVE PERFORMANCE

BY THE RNCM'S MATHIAS QUARTET

PLUS

SPECIAL GUEST

URSULA MARTIN, PROFESSOR OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

AT THE UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD

For more information, please see our facebook event page here.

Image

Emily Howard

Image

Gemma Moss

Image

Ursula Martin

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

MATHEMATICS AND MODERN LITERATURE 2018

Thursday 3rd May - Friday 4th May

The University of Manchester

Mathematics and Modern Literature is a collaborative, interdisciplinary conference exploring the ways in which writers active between the late nineteenth century and the twenty-first century engage with, represent or reflect upon mathematics in their work.

REGISTRATION IS STILL OPEN

For more information about the conference, and how to join us, please see our website.

MML

Image