Dear BAMS members,

I'm writing to draw your attention to a very exciting international
conference happening at the Faculty of English at the University of Oxford
on the 25th June.

Part of Professor Ankhi Mukherjee's AHRC-funded project The Psychic Life of
the Poor, the conference, *Global Hungers,* is the culmination of the
project, and will feature keynote lectures from *Leela Gandhi *and * Gayatri
Spivak.*

The 'hunger' of the title is actual and figurative, and the day will
explore the effects of a range of global deprivations, from homelessness
and statelessness to the withholding of educational and environmental
needs. We will have scope to explore both the postcolonial and contemporary
moments alongside the histories of colonialism, uneven development and the
world city. Scholars with interests in modernist, contemporary and world
literature, cinema and art history will all be welcome.

The deadline for paper proposals is *30 April. *Please send a *300-*word
abstract (for a 20-minute paper) and a brief CV to Professor Ankhi
Mukherjee ([log in to unmask]), copying me, the research
assistant on this project ([log in to unmask]). For registration
details see here https://torch.ox.ac.uk/global-hungers.

All best,
David Barnes