We have recently found a single charred fruit of Malva neglecta (dwarf mallow) from an Iron Age settlement at Middlesbrough. It is from a pit fill which provided a radiocarbon date of 350-46 cal BC from hazel roundwood charcoal. Other charred remains in the fill were oak and hazel charcoal, a hazel nutshell fragment and an unusually high concentration of charred Rumex sp. (dock) nutlets.

I’d be grateful if anyone can tell me of other examples of pre-Roman finds of Malva neglecta in Britain. There is no evidence of Roman activity on the site.

Also, any suggestions for the large number of dock  nutlets (which aren’t recorded in any of the other samples on the site)?

Best wishes

Charlotte

Charlotte O'Brien BA PhD
Environmental Laboratories Manager
Archaeological Services
Durham University
South Road

Durham
DH1 3LE

direct line 0191 334 1113
tel 0191 334 1121
fax 0191 334 1126
www.dur.ac.uk/archaeological.services

For artefact conservation and materials analysis:

www.dur.ac.uk/archaeological.services/conservation_services