Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to consider our 'Rethinking the anthropology
of dance' panel at the ASA 2018 to be held in Oxford, 18-21 September 2018.

Please submit your abstract through the conference website before the
20th of April:

https://nomadit.co.uk/asa/asa2018/conferencesuite.php/panels/6880

CONVENORS
Georgiana Gore (University of Clermont Auvergne)
Hélène Neveu Kringelbach (University College London)

DISCUSSANT
Michael Houseman (Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris)

SHORT ABSTRACT
This panel pays tribute to the late Andrée Grau's engagement with dance
as fundamental to human sociality (Grau 2016) and interrogates
advancements in the anthropology of dance since Gertrude Kurath's 1960
article Panorama of dance ethnology published in the first volume of
Current Anthropology.

LONG ABSTRACT
This panel pays tribute to the late Andrée Grau's engagement with dance
as cultural and biological phenomenon, fundamental to human sociality
(Grau 2016) and interrogates advancements in the anthropology of dance
since Gertrude Kurath's programmatic 1960 article Panorama of dance
ethnology published in the first volume of Current Anthropology. Indeed,
in anthropology, dance has often been examined from two perspectives: as
an object of study in its own right, and as a practice the study of
which enables understanding of other domains of human activity such as
gender, politics, memory, kinship, religion, identity, mobility, health,
or cognition. These two perspectives have increasingly come together as
anthropologists developed new theoretical tools to approach creative
bodies in their social contexts.

In this panel, we invite presentations which are ethnographically
grounded and/or which engage with theoretically provocative arguments on
one or several of the following issues:

- How are creative processes articulated in choreographed movement?

- How may the study of dance advance our understanding of the
relationship between the human and the non-human?

- Might a focus on dance help to explore the relationship between
movement and cognition?

- To what extent does choreographed movement "create" social
relationships, and relationships between people and matter?

- How do dance practices change over time, and what do these processes
say about time and memory in their different forms?

- How might the use of technological advances (motion capture, for
example) contribute to our understanding of creative bodies in movement?

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/Anthropology-Matters   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers *

To unsubscribe please click here:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS&A=1