Hi Emma,

In my experience imprecision of osmolality is highly user-dependent. Small bubbles, lack of attention to the meniscus and improper cleaning of the chamber all contribute. Could be worth having the analyser serviced and perhaps an examination audit to confirm that all users have satisfactory technique. Also worth reviewing the volume of sample as it may be that evaporation is contributing to the imprecision issue you're seeing.

Regards,
Gavin Murdock

I was wondering if other laboratories would be able to share their Osmometer experiences please? We use the Advanced Micro-Osmometer 3320 and a review of our laboratory practice has identified unsatisfactory imprecision in the normal serum range and we do not feel it is acceptable for use in the water deprivation test. This osmometer is due for replacement and we would be interested to hear whether others have similar experiences and how you have reduced imprecision in serum samples.

Many thanks,

Emma

Emma Stevenson

Clinical Scientist

Chemical Pathology

Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

T: 0300 422 5219

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/