Dear Mailbase,

We have been having some issues with our calcium assay and have noticed a persistent downward trend in patient means from early this year. Based on this, we’d be interested to know:

•	What ranges do you currently use for calcium/adjusted calcium?
•	Have any other Siemens users had a problem with negative bias/low flyers over the last few months?

We do not think that this trend can be explained by seasonal variation in Vitamin D, as patient means show negative bias compared with the same period last year (although I’ll admit that we haven’t done any detailed analysis to this effect).

Any additional comments regarding this are very welcome and I’m happy to collate and share any replies if people would find that helpful.

Regards,

Helen

Helen Jerina PhD
Senior Clinical Scientist
Department of Chemical Pathology and Metabolic Medicine
Leicester Royal Infirmary

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk