Dear all,

I’m delighted to be taking over from Ayesha Ramachandran as the International Spenser Society’s liaison to the SCSC. Ayesha leaves enormous shoes to fill, and I’ll do my best to grow into them! The ISS will sponsor a panel at the SCSC this year, which we’d like to organize around the concept of “Micro Spenser/Macro Spenser”. We imagine anything from papers centered on or emerging from a close reading of a single stanza to papers connecting multiple books or works, papers considering the minimal or miniscule in Spenser’s imagination to papers exploring the Spenserian stanza as a template for organizing and unleashing a poetic corpus. We know that Spenserians are nothing if not imaginative and playful, and we look forward to the results of your serious play with either or both of these concepts.

Please send a title, 250-word (max) abstract, and contact information to Sarah Van der Laan ([log in to unmask]) by 5 April. And please share this call for papers widely among your colleagues and networks.

All best wishes,

Sarah

Sarah Van der Laan
Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies
Affiliate, Ancient Studies and Renaissance Studies
Department of Comparative Literature
Indiana University
Ballantine Hall 914
1020 E. Kirkwood Avenue