All the very best with your project; hope I can be of help!

With kind regards and best wishes

Jim Garretts.

On 28 March 2018 at 13:43, Adam Bell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message. -------------------------------

Please see below, from Dr Frances Thirlway, about a symposium on ‘representing street carnival, marching bands and dance troupes in the museum’…as well as an appeal for info about museums with relevant collections. If replying with thoughts via the e-mail list, please also e-mail Dr Thirlway separately - [log in to unmask] - as she is not a SHCG member.

From: Frances Thirlway [mailto:[log in to unmask]ac.uk]
Sent: 27 March 2018 18:51
Subject: Symposium on ''Representing street carnival, marching bands and dance troupes in the museum'

We are organising a joint universities/museums symposium on 'Discovering and representing street carnival, marching bands and dance troupes in the museum'. We would very much appreciate any advice you might have about reaching curators who might be interested in this event.

Our focus is on 1) juvenile jazz bands, active in the coalfields areas, 2) girls' morris dance, in the North West and Midlands and 3) entertainer troupes, in the same areas - also coal and cotton queens. Despite the large number of juvenile jazz bands in their heyday (there are still 40 today), we have struggled to identify many museums with a specific interest in this field or with relevant collections. Any thoughts will be welcome!

The symposium will be held in York over two days (lunch time to lunch time) in the week of 9th or 16th July, depending on speaker availability. It is being hosted jointly with the National Museum of Wales, Woodhorn Colliery Museum (Northumberland) and the Huis van Alijn Museum of Everyday Life in Ghent, Belgium.

Woodhorn Colliery Museum will speak about the ‘Woodhorn K’Nuts’ and other jazz marching bands of the 1920s and more recently, the National Museum of Wales also has (a few) photographs and artefacts relating to the bands in their collections and will be sending a member of staff who is also a jazz band member, whilst the Huis van Alijn will present the oral history and archive digitisation project they pursued with 50 majorette troupes and brass bands, leading to an exhibition and book.

We are also inviting museums and archives from other relevant areas e.g. the Black Country Museum, Staffordshire Archives, Chester Heritage Centre etc. On the academic side, we have invited Dr Claire Barber of Huddersfield University, to speak on ‘Mining Couture: A Manifesto for Common Wear: a collaborative art project between the artists Barber Swindells and Leicestershire County Council's Snibston Discovery Museum’, Dr Elizabeth Carnegie, Sheffield University, to speak about representing working class culture in the social history museum and Dr Marion Leonard of Liverpool University to speak on collecting and representing popular music in the museum.

We hope this event will lead to opportunities for future collaborations.

Best wishes

Dr Frances Thirlway

Research Fellow
Sociology Department

University of York
Heslington, York YO10 5DD

Tel: 01904 323234

Follow me on Twitter @fthirlway

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF SHCG-LIST