So I get to your poem after all this gab, Jill, but read it first. And like it a lot, like everyone else. That you see & say, & yet your I/eye remains cool enough not to be caught in a lyric sense of oh it’s me saying this with such understanding…

I like the way that you’re using the end words but we’d never know if you didnt tell us, which means the poem works all  y itself without any worry about that little formal event.

BTW H is for Hawk is an amazing book, & the writer is a poet, only a few of whose poems Ive seen online: interesting, experimental in a way, but the book is wild in all the good ways…

Doug

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Jill
>

>> Thanks, Lawrence. Glad the poem works as poem.
>
> It does
>
>> I know of the Baker book but I realise I've never read it. So I shall
> find a copy.
>
> There's been a new edition with his other book, the title of which I forget
> and which I have not read.
>
> I must do so. I haven't seen my 67 copy for years.
>
> The peregrine is superbly written. It's in the diction, you'll find him
> slowly becoming avian i.e. describing himself as the bird(s)... diction and
> in his narrative of his behaviour, how he stands over – I was going to say
> “stoops over”, but better not use that word, for clarity – evidence and
> then look round in a raptorlike gesture. It's very subtly done.
>

>> I didn't know about the pee thing.
>
> I got very excited about that. You think: no wonder they're always
> scurrying on the edge of the field, right down at the foot of the stone
> hedges – I too am too suburban... If you can't stop peeing and your pee
> fluoresces in the vision of something set on killing you, that can arrive
> at 100 mph +, well it's enough to make you give up and hope to come back as
> a sloth next time... Or an elephant. I just saw a photo of a domesticated
> elephant tipping up a tourist vehicle looking for sandwiches.
>

> “We” have peregrines on the top of a tower block in London Borough of
> Sutton where I sleep and I have seen them, I think, from afar.... Imagine
> railway workers looking up at the sky to see what I am looking at. The
> station's near the building and provides a good viewing point. I was asked
> once what it was I was watching. I told the man and he obviously thought
> that I was cracked. But they are there.
>
> Sparrowhawks in the back gardens. Far from unknown, especially in an
> overgrown one like mine. One minute there's a bird being a bird and then a
> fast blur and it's gone
>

> Yesterday a friend emailed that one of the Tower of London ravens has died
> and she might apply for the vacancy, but that's something else
>

>> There is another more recent book, H for Hawk I think it is called and
> maybe (though I might be wrong here) written by a British poet. Don't
> know if it's worth a shot.
> Yes and yes: British and worth a read. Helen MacDonald
>

> best
>

> Lawrence
>

> On 28 March 2018 at 13:50, Jill Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Lawrence. Glad the poem works as poem.
>>
>> I know of the Baker book but I realise I've never read it. So I shall
>> find a copy.
>>
>> I didn't know about the pee thing.
>>
>> Of course, we're more likely to see raptors of various kinds in more
>> open country but we do see them, though rarely, over our suburbs and
>> the city. There is one rumoured to have had a nest in the roof parts
>> of the large sandstone building next to my building on the uni campus
> [...]

Douglas Barbour
https://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Recent publications: (With Sheila E Murphy) Continuations & Continuations 2 (UofAPress).
Recording Dates (Rubicon Press).
Listen. If (UofAPress):

the way of what fell
the lies