Department of Mathematical Sciences

University of Essex

Post: Postgraduate Research Associate, E-fulfilment and Emission control

Employment type:  Fixed-term, six months (1st Apr to 30th Sep 2018)

Salary:  around £193.26 per day before tax, depending on age and qualification

Closing date:  28 March 2018

Interview date:  10 April 2018
Contact: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dear all,

I'm holding a small grant to hire a RA to work with me on an impact acceleration project, on dynamic pricing and emission control in e-fulfilment. It's more like a small piece of research work which can potentially generate a journal article, but it also creates a wonderful opportunity to learn about online retail industry. The RA and I, as the PI, will work closely with a famous online retailer, aiming to bring some research methodologies into practice.

The current post is for six months, from 1st Apr to 30th Sep 2018. However, there is great potential to extend it for another 2 years, or to be hired by the industrial partner afterwards. The salary is around £193.26 per day before tax, depending on age and qualification.

The desirable candidate is:

1.       A PhD student or PhD degree holder;

2.       Eligible to work in the UK for at least 20 hours per week;

3.       With background in OR/Optimization, has experience in Transportation/Revenue management/Dynamic programming/Forecasting;

4.       An excellent programmer with skills in Matlab/C++/Java;

5.       Fluent in writing and oral English;

6.       Capable to work under pressure and tight deadlines.

If you are interested in the above post, please send your CV with a cover letter to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. Please feel free to pass it on to anyone who might be interested. PhD students about to finish their research, and PhD holders between jobs are ideal for this job.

Please feel free to recommend anyone, or circulate the above message to suitable candidates.

Kind regards,

Xinan
Lecturer in Operational Research