Hi Pam,

Following on from your thread of 'institutional' midwife- which is a particular interest of mine at the moment as I have been studying midwives who work for the NHS but who are supporting/facilitating women's unconventional birth choices i.e. out of guidelines- a way of exploring midwives who do work 'in the system' but are facilitating women's autonomy.

But to add to your thoughts of 'institutional midwife' - have you come across these papers- may be of interest to you- which explore the concept that midwives appear to be in two broad camps where they are either aligned with the institution or with the women:

McFarlane S, Downe S. (1999) An interpretation of midwives’ views about the nature of midwifery. Practising Midwife 2(11): 23-6.

Thompson. (2003). The practice setting: Site of ethical conflict for some mothers and midwives. Nursing Ethics, 10(6), 588-601.

Hunter, B. (2004). Conflicting ideologies as a source of emotion work in midwifery. Midwifery, 20, 261-272.

Certainly the findings of my metasynthesis support this divergence, when in relation to women’s unconventional birth choices, midwives appeared to be either willingly facilitative or reluctantly accepting- largely related to their values/alignment to either women or institution.

Best wishes,

Claire Feeley

Midwife/PhD Student