Posted Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:00:29
This message was forwarded through MEDSOCNEWS.
If you wish to make an announcement or publicise
an event then please send the text to:
You can follow us on twitter @MedSocNews

Call for Papers deadline extended – 28th March 2018
We've extended this deadline again due to the strike action, which has impacted many of us. If you wish to submit an abstract to this event and have not yet been able to, please do so by (end of day) Wednesday 28th March, to [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]

BSA Regional Postgraduate Event:
Bioscientific innovation, medical imaginaries and experiences of contemporary healthcare

Friday 1st June 2018, 10.00am-4.30pm
The University of Edinburgh (50 George Square)

Keynote speakers:
Professor Joanna Latimer - University of York
Dr Gill Haddow – University of Edinburgh

Postgraduate researchers are often at the forefront of sociological research that explores the role of technoscience in shifting conceptualisations and experiences of the body and disease. This includes studies of the practices and processes of emerging innovation in biosensing technologies, genomic medicine and data sharing, as well as patients’ experiences of these.

Inherent to technoscientific development is its implicit orientation towards the future, through presentation of the anticipated impacts of new technologies and techniques on clinical and scientific practice. We aim to bring together early career researchers in a supportive environment, to discuss how the future is imagined and represented through developments in biotechnologies and scientific understandings of ill health. We will explore how contemporary biomedical imaginaries might shape the practices and expectations of biomedicine across a range of health conditions, as well as the impacts of these on experiences of health, healthcare, and for wider society.
The sorts of questions we hope to open for discussion include:

How are human/non-human bodies conceived of and portrayed within and through the development of biotechnologies? Where and how does laboratory science feature in and transform clinician-patient interactions? How is global (scientific) citizenship configured through contemporary forms of research data? What implications does emerging innovation, for example in genomic and stem cell research, have for understandings of what it means to be with or without disease? Where and how is this reconfigured, but also, what sociocultural concepts and categories might be reinforced through the practice and imaginaries of emergent bioscientific practices?
We hope to discuss a wide range of sociological approaches to these issues in terms of both theory and method. We will consider where and how fellow postgraduate researchers are adopting and adapting methods and literatures from sociology, but also related disciplines including anthropology and STS.

Call for papers
We invite 15 minute paper proposals from early career researchers (PhD and postdoctoral), and attendees are encouraged to submit a poster to be displayed during lunch and break times. Should you wish to submit an abstract (up to 250 words), please send to Dr Emily Ross [log in to unmask] and Dr Julia Swallow [log in to unmask] by 28th March 2018.

Bursaries
A small number of travel bursaries are available subject to application. Please email the organisers for more information.

Registration Rates
BSA members - £5
Non-BSA Members - £15

Lunch and refreshments will be provided. Attendance is limited to 25 places. To attend, please register  https://portal.britsoc.co.uk/public/event/eventBooking.aspx?id=EVT10710

1. For general enquires or problems with the list or to CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS send a message to:
2. To suspend yourself from the list, whilst on leave, for example,
send an email to [log in to unmask] with the following message:
set medsocnews nomail
3. To resume email from the list, send the following message:
set medsocnews mail
4. To leave MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
leave medsocnews
5. To join or subscribe to MedSocNews, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the message (leave the subject line blank and do not include a signature):
SUBSCRIBE medsocnews firstname lastname
6. Further information about the medsocnews discussion list (including
list archive and how to subscribe to or leave the list) can be found
at the list web site:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medsocnews.html