Hi All,

I’m going to throw in a dissenting opinion and say that the authors should push back against the publisher. In effect the publisher is acknowledging that the work they have done to peer-review, copyedit and typeset the manuscript does not add any value to what is already available in the thesis. If the publisher has improved the work then they should stand behind the paper and publish it anyway.

Secondly, most publishers have quite permissive policies when it comes to publications based on student theses - https://osc.cam.ac.uk/theses/advice-phd-students/publishing-and-open-access

Publisher positions on Open Access theses

Cambridge University Press

"Authors who make their thesis openly accessible in their institution's repository will not be prevented from publishing the work later on as a monograph with Cambridge University Press."

Routledge

"Routledge will sometimes publish books based on theses, and acknowledge that in some instances students may have their thesis openly accessible on their institution's repository. It is usual that once a contract for publication is agreed that this thesis be shut down and only accessible to members of the home institution. This required period of restricted access may vary but will typically be around eighteen months after the publication of the book. The metadata (information about the thesis) may remain available and the thesis can be requested through mechanisms such as inter library loan during this restricted access period. However Routledge recognises that some authors are bound by requirements of their institution or their funder to make their thesis open access. For this reason there is not a hard rule and each case will be considered separately." (Wording provided by Routledge May 2017)

Palgrave Macmillan

"Palgrave Macmillan accepts proposals based on dissertations, even when those dissertations have been made available in online repositories. To be considered ready for publication, those dissertations must have been significantly revised." (Taken from Palgrave Macmillan's Early Career Researcher Hub, which also has some further advice)

Indeed, Elsevier go so far as to state that https://www.elsevier.com/en-gb/authors/journal-authors/policies-and-ethics

Elsevier does not view the following uses of a work as prior publication: publication in the form of an abstract; publication as an academic thesis; publication as an electronic preprint.

So the authors have plenty of other venues to publish their work that won’t give two hoots about whether the paper is similar to an Open Access thesis.

When it comes to plagiarism detection software – so what? The provenance of the work is clearly known so it’s just the publisher being inflexible in this case. The authors should not be forced to rework their paper to meet some arbitrary metric.

Best,

Arthur

--

Dr Arthur Smith

Deputy Head of Scholarly Communication (Open Access)

Office of Scholarly Communication

Cambridge University Library

West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR

+44 (0) 1223 766376