To our striking colleagues in Modern Languages (UK),
As staff in Modern Languages at the University of Birmingham, we are writing to express our public support for your efforts to stop the downgrading of the USS pension scheme.
 Our UCU branch failed to reach the 50% threshold required for legal industrial action, and thus we are unable to strike. Some of us are members of the UCU; some are non-members. However, all of us will be affected by the proposed cuts to our pensions. For those of us beginning our careers, the impact will be devastating. Some of us face losing 40% of our income.
 We agree with you that the imposition of such damaging changes is unnecessary and that the modelling used to justify the cuts is deeply flawed. A growing number of Vice Chancellors across the UK are urging UUK to reconsider its position. We call on our Vice Chancellor to do the same.
 Like you, we care about our students and we are concerned about the impact of the dispute on their education. Our students, at all levels, will increasingly be affected if industrial action continues, since we rely on colleagues at other places for external examiner roles, guest lectures etc. To prevent disruption, UUK needs to listen to academic and academic-related staff across the country and reverse the proposed downgrading of our pensions.
 We welcome the rejection of the proposed settlement of 13th March and, via our UCU branch, stand in solidarity with you in demanding an agreement which guarantees a decent retirement income. We thank you for the sacrifice you have made on behalf of our community and we offer you our support.

Yours sincerely,

Marco Bellardi
Clelia Boscolo
Paolo de Ventura