This short paper has specific microprobe procedures and result criteria
that most petrologists will find agreeable:

Quinn, R.J., Valley, J.W., Page, F.Z., and Fournelle, J.H., 2016. Accurate
determination of ferric iron in garnets.  American Mineralogist, Volume
101, pages 1704–1707, 2016.

Best,

Steve