Colleagues,

Some thirty years ago, when we acquired a new microprobe, I spent a frustrating year attempting to produce good analyses of garnet.  Although we had some successes, we were unable to produce good analyses in a systematic way.  Every suite seemed to be a new problem.  Then, I became chair of department and that effort came to a halt.  Now, I am  back to the problem again in the context of eclogite petrology, and it occurs to me first to ask “What is a good garnet analysis?”

Because the quality of analyses in the literature is quite variable, I ask for your thoughts on the criteria by which we should judge the quality of routine garnet analyses as sufficient to be published. Obviously, the criteria may differ depending on the proposed application of the data, but is there a consensus on what constitutes a good routine analysis?

Thanks

Howard

Howard W. Day, Professor Emeritus
The Dept. Formerly Known as Geology