Nice summary, Carl. That was a really vibrant and stimulating discussion - thanks for initiating it.

One final note from me: it is also possible to find in contact-metamorphic rocks pseudomorphs after cordierite that do not involve pinite-type alteration. Jim Beard and I have been working on such in a contact aureole of an emery-bearing mafic pluton in Virginia - originally olivine gabbro, but heavily contaminated by melted metapelite country rocks. (For the uninitiated, “emery” is an old term for oxide-rich segregations in contact-metamorphosed pelites with a typical assemblage of mag-ilm-spl-sil-grt,+/-crn, hogbomite and opx.) Crd pseudomorphs consist of fine-grained low-Ca amphibole, staurolite and sheet silicates, hosted by a coarse anatexite (qz-plg-kfs-sil-grt-bt) with flow textures that probably got up to >800C at about 6 kbar in the moderate-P, HT contact event. Preliminary calculations suggest the replacement texture was roughly isochemical except for K, Si and H2O. A few rare unmodified crd grains seem to have escaped the retrograde pseudomorphing, but most crd did not, and pseudomorphs are common. We continue to work on this and will eventually publish.

Bob

Dr. Robert Tracy
Professor of Geosciences
Director, Museum of Geosciences