Dear Jesper, after further analysis I have some follow up questions on this
issue.
I haven't been able to run eddy using the new 5.0.11 patch yet.
However, I wanted to assess the effect on MD and FA of the spikes I was
having due to the interleaved B0s and the post eddy alignment error. So I
manually removed any interleaved B0s, leaving only the first B0 and the 30
diffusion gradient volumes and redid topup, eddy and DTIfit.
First of all, could this be a valid approach to elude the issue of having
to realign between shells? Or is there anything methodologically wrong in
doing this that I might be missing?
I'm attaching a couple of figures showing the resulting movement parameters
for 1 subject either leaving (
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sDHOJEeLiB_Zlq0eRqNNLN-mR_CDx6pe) or
removing the interleaved B0s (
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_ikUSbqatF507pWmv2c3WPkPIH6-6KHz).

I then compared the results with those I originally got when I analyzed the
data including the B0s, and running topup, eddy (with "peas") and DTIfit.
This comparison between the data analyzed with and without the B0s is part
of a reproducibility analysis I am running, so I took 2 control scans per
subject and took the absolute difference between both scans for MD and FA.
I found that mean reproducibility (i.e. error between scans) for MD and FA
across grey and white matter is much larger if I don't include the B0s in
the preprocessing steps than if I do. I'm attaching some figures
illustrating this in case it helps.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dcm_a3Zz1R_C7cWJG1kFR_3LeH_5YcdK
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yrhgtcsZFOtPWpigJEe77XXiA-IE6oAH

How could this be? I would have expected better reproducibility (less error
between the scans) if I didn't include the B0s in the preprocessing (since
movement parameters don't have the "peas" systematic error and I would have
expected a more faithful motion correction).
Does this make sense?
Any comments or insights on this issue will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Florencia.

: