Unfortunately, the New York Times article provides no evidence or numbers just opinion.

Here is my take on TPA when looking at the evidence. I’m primarily using the following reviews to make these comments and ignoring authors conclusions and just looking at the data Forest Plots myself

1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27561375 - COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT REVIEW - GREAT STUFF AND THE SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL IS VERY USEFUL AS WELL

2) http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)60584-5/abstract - LOOKS AT THE TIMING ISSUE

3) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25072528 THE COCHRANE REVIEW - some conflicts but the results are similar to the first review above. The “issues” with the evidence are as outlined in 1) above

Small numbers - agree but that is one reason we do meta-analyses

Use of secondary outcomes - not sure what they really mean by this - a study should have only one primary outcome (not necessarily the most important one) and we still have to look at the secondary outcomes as they are often clinically relevant

Definitions of outcome - I think the reviews above did a pretty good job of teasing out consistent outcomes when it comes to disability - not perfect but not too bad

Baseline imbalance - I didn’t see any baseline imbalances that I thought would be responsible for the results seen

Other sources of potential bias - agree some trials are unblinded - but many good trials are unblinded

Confounders - definitely an issue but difficult to manage when you have a stroke team dealing with all the other aspects of care

External validity - agree

Influence of pharmaceutical sponsorship - always a concern BUT I have similar concerns with people or groups of people whose job it seems is to discredit every study and treatment - I believe they have an academic bias almost as powerful as the industry bias

Given the above I still think the “best available evidence” - with all its warts etc suggests the following numbers - these numbers are taken from both the independent review and the Cochrane review

1) If you use TPA within 1-3 (maybe 4.5) hours you get a 5-10% absolute benefit in the number of people with a residual disability
2) intracranial hemorrhage goes up by about 5% BUT not sure how relevant this is given that the number of overall people with a residual disability is reduced
3) overall mortality is unchanged

So is TPA a good or bad drug - neither - but if I had a stroke and was in a stroke unit within 2-3 hours I would want TPA.

Hope this helps

James