Dear All,

Thanks for the various response. Here is my follow up to refine the question.

I can see that scenario A and C would likely be dealt with under 12 (5) (a).   However, Scenario 2 remains live and is not likely to be covered by 12 5 a.

Scenario 2.

Person B walks into council building on a Friday. They check their council tax accounts at the counter and talk with a benefits advice officer for 20 minutes in an interview room. Their file is updated with several changes.

On Monday, they put in a SAR request for all their personal data with photo identification. As part of that SAR, the council would have to provide any CCTV footage it holds of that transaction. That means the council, to comply with the SAR, will need to link its CCTV to its transactions and extract these when a request arrives.

In this scenario Joe Bloggs says “I want the personal information you hold on me.”  To answer that question, the council will need to search its systems. In that search, it will be aware that the applicant visited the council building and talked to a benefits advice officer.  Here is the question.

Under the new DPA, it would appear that the organisation would, as part of the SAR response, need to provide the CCTV.  Is this correct? (my view is yes, but I want to know what others think)

If the visit became confrontational and the benefits officer asked that the CCTV be retained as part of the potentially violent person process, then Mr Bloggs would receive that CCTV footage if he put in his SAR asking for everything. Is this correct? (my view is yes)

What this suggests is that public organisations that have CCTV will need to provide a lot more CCTV footage as a routine part of their SAR response. Is this correct? (my view is yes as it is PII)

How many organisations currently provide CCTV footage as part of SARs? Or, is it mainly only when specifically requested? Do organisations routinely provide telephone recordings or only when asked?

Best,

Lawrence

Lawrence Serewicz

Information and Records Manager

Transformation and Partnerships

Durham County Council

County Hall

Room 143-148 4th Floor

Durham

County Durham

DH1 5UF

Direct 03000 268 038

Switchboard 03000 26 0000

www.durham.gov.uk

Follow us on Twitter @durhamcouncil

Like us at facebook.com/durhamcouncil

Follow us on linkedin.com/company/durham-county-council