Book now - BAM Research Methodology SIG Event: Sharing our Struggles Seminar: Making Research Philosophy Useful: Approaches to Creating Knowledge

The BAM Research Methodology SIG are pleased to announce that the event Sharing our Struggles Seminar: Making Research Philosophy Useful: Approaches to Creating Knowledge will take place on Tuesday 27th March 2018 at Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham from 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m

A good research study should reflect the author’s underlying methodological awareness. As such, we are expected to understand the perspective they take and how it affects their research methodology and methods. To prepare researchers for this challenge, methodology courses often include lectures on philosophical perspectives. But does this learning stick?

This seminar will focus on some of the many challenges involved in engaging with issues of paradigms and methodological understanding. The emphasis will be on viewing such concerns as conversations stimulating methodological awareness amongst researchers rather than laying foundations for truth.

The seminar will raise questions about both the teaching and learning of theoretical perspectives and we encourage attendance by research students, early career researchers, those teaching students and anyone with an interest in approaches to creating knowledge. Specifically, we will address issues such as: how to make philosophy relevant, interesting, and useful to students? How is philosophy learnt and retained? Where are different philosophical perspectives having an impact on research methodology and methods?

By the end of the day, participants will have a better appreciation of the practical effects of applying philosophy to research. As teachers we will understand better how to make this subject come alive for the students we teach. As students of philosophy we will have a wider understanding of how to incorporate new ideas into our Research such that it has more impact and relevance to and advances the fields in which we work.

For further information about this event, please click on the link below:

https://www.bam.ac.uk/civicrm/event/info?id=3400&reset=1

Jenny Robinson

Tel: 07834 609 107

Tel: 01280 840 674