The diffraction patterns clearly show an overlap of two or more

lattices, which either means you didn’t have a single crystal at the

start or it was damaged during the flash-cooling process.  PEG 400

is generally a good cryoprotectant at ≥20%, but I would recommend using

at least 25% to be certain no ice formation damages the crystal lattice.

The high mosaicity makes interpretation of the diffraction pattern open to

debate.  Some of the reflections look like they could originate from
protein,

since they indicate long distance repeats.  Some double-spots suggest a
cracked

crystal with high mosaicity.  It’s a difficult call for me, but I think the
layer

lines look roughly like an hour glass shape, which is characteristically

seen in DNA patterns and arises from the double-helical structure.

Again, the layer lines suggest at least 2 or 3 lattices.  To pin down

whether you’re really looking at double-helical DNA, you need to

measure the real space distance suggested from layer lines (measure

the equiv. resolution from the reciprocal space origin).  I don’t have

time to look it up now, but there should be tell-tale layer line repeats

(if I recall correctly) at about 10 A and 34 A.  You can look for some

old papers by Francis Crick on helical theory (sorry I don’t have

the reference at my fingertips).  In summary, I would cautiously

surmise that you have a protein (small round spot reflections), bound

by DNA that is much more mobile (highly mosaic layer lines), and that

both the protein and DNA exist in multiple (probably three) lattices, but,

again, the distance repeats of the layer lines have to be measured to

see if they are consistent with double-helical DNA.

Try to get crystals that diffract better for more clarity.  Flash cool in

25% PEG 400 (or try combination of PEG 400 and PEG 200), or

vary the MPD concentration.  Good luck.

I hope this helps.

-Daniel

[image:
RnNZfQn2o2xpggJQqefCOervMbPIci5mujDPJnvl43kv6Rtxjyh5gHN_JKVzeU-aaGz3pePFgxfoAAtZJZNx8mveVTc-11j98EfuAJVcumUenA=s0-d-e1-ft.gif]Daniel
M. Himmel, Ph. D.