From: CCP4 bulletin board <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Natalia O <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, March 2, 2018 at 7:35 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [ccp4bb] does 12 A diffraction worth optimization

Hello,

I got crystals of protein-nucleic acid complex, rod-shape, reproducible, don’t visibly get damaged upon freezing; however they gave diffraction only to about 12 A. I tried several crystals. My question is whether such crystals worth optimization. Clearly a 4A diffracting crystal could potentially be optimized to 3 – 2.5A, but if the diffraction that I am getting now is 12A it could suggest that the system is so flexible that getting to 3A with this crystal form is not possible at all. I just wonder if there is any statistics or a rule of thumb about what initial diffraction worth optimization?

Thank you!

-Natalia